Monday, January 24, 2011

My Movie friend "Donald"

   Tonite I went with my daughters to Ballet Folklorico practice because I wanted to find out more about their upcoming trip to San Antonio. While I was waiting for the meeting to start I had a great time with one of the dancers brothers, we'll call him "Donald". Donald has Downs Syndrome, he is 17-18 years old and was so much fun, He had a notebook and was writing down the names of movies that he liked to the best of his ability. All the movies he liked were Disney and kids films, right up my alley so I was able to guess the titles from his best try at spelling them. He really surprised me when he spelled out the name of a movie that I could not recognize but what clued me in finally was the O in the title was drawn out with 4 small holes inside of it. I said wow that looks like a button, well it was it was Coraline! His speech was very subdued and convoluted but he said "Coraline"  with the biggest smile after I said it!
   He went on writing out titles and I went on guessing what they were, He wrote the Hulk and flexed his arms and grunted, I picked up on that one right away! What was the biggest help was that he wrote out the movie title the way they appeared on the box so it helped  me pick up on what they were. I did my best to guess what he was trying to convey so I could see him smile and laugh. I love spending time with these kids because their heart is so pure and simple like a child or God's. I always pictured angels like Downs children. 
   I'm glad I was taught at an early age about people like this, I was told to never pity them and just treat them with the same respect as you would treat anyone else. I hope I see Donald again, he made me forget about my pity problems and see inside his heart and the joy and happiness of the simple things we forget about.

No comments: