Sunday, October 18, 2009

Wild Things


I LOVE going to the movies, good or bad, happy or sad I see it! Today I went to see a beloved childhood book come to life "Where the Wild Things Are". I was real skeptical when I saw that there were gonna make this movie. Somethings are sacred and should not be messed with and this was one of those. How could they possibly recapture the magic of that book, my imagination like Max's used to soar when I read that book, I wondered how big the creatures were and was it cold where Max was? So many things that Maurice Sendak put in this book were so cool and weird to me, almost like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory even though the book only consisted of 10 sentences.

Usually with films like this CGI is used to portray the characters because of their complex appearance and stature but I like others felt they had to be real so they could be believable to both the audience and actor. They ended up using CGI only for facial expressions otherwise it was Henson's Creature Shop who created the Wild Things and they couldn't have been more real. The film was touching and magical and was, at least I thought poinient for today's single parent family. I often caught myself in the parents and child's shoes throughout the film and felt for their pain and problems. Growing up sucks no matter what age you are, the responsibilities and losses you assume are necessary though. I used to pride myself on being able to put myself in my kids shoes but have slipped lately, this film jolted me back to their POV and their trials of growing up.

No comments: